View of Christianity on I know nothing

Theology or researching about God was part of philosophy. Later, it separated from philosophy. Therefore, philosophical concepts could be seen in religions. By the way, the word theology is usually referred to Christianity.


I know nothing by myself.


If we question that does Christianity has the view of I know that I know nothing, we would say nothing. But, if we do analysis, we could find some interesting facts as follows:

Read Job 8:9. It says "For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow". Job was wise man and his words were sagacious thoughts. He referred human as yesterday and indicated luck of knowing of human as nothing. I feel it is pretty wise words.

Another verse in Bible says the living knows that they will die, but the dead know nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5). The verse seems logical statement. All human being and living must die and became dead. Therefore, no one knows anything which means we know nothing.  The statement could interpret as following logical statement.
Human are dead.
Dead knows nothing.
Therefore, human knows nothing.

St. Paul’s statement in 1 Corinthians 4:4, "I know nothing by myself", which that means "I know nothing against myself". Paul was well educated (theology, philosophy) person and greatest Christian missionary and first theologian of Christianity. He declared that he knows nothing against himself. Many would say he was humble person before God and suppressed himself. Yes, it could be true. Anyway, he could have been stated from his philosophical knowledge, and mixed philosophy + theology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I know that I know nothing

I know that I know nothing.  The quote of Socrates is an opened door to think and analyze. There are so many interpretations & discussio...